First Time Guests - Taking the Guess out of Guest!
If you are visiting us for the first time on the web or in person, WELCOME! At Wapping, we feel that it's OUR responsibility to "clear the way" for you to come to church. We want you to be able to experience the great music, encouraging messages, friendly people and enjoyable atmosphere that are a part of Wapping Church. And we know that your first time at a church, any church, brings up some questions. How do I get there? What should I wear? What's available for my kids? What should I expect in church? Here is a quick look at what you can expect, based on what people see when they visit Wapping Church.
Where's Wapping Community Church?
Wapping's easy to find! We're located on one of the corners of the "Wapping Five Corners" - just up the street from Evergreen Walk and Buckland Hills Mall.
Click here for a Google map of our location.
How do I get into the building, and where do I go from there?
Parking is available in the lot closest to our building, and also in the lot closest to the library building. If both of those lots are full, you may drive out the back driveway from either of those parking lots, and park along the dead end road you'll find there. Walk along the path next to the grave yard and enter through the doors at the covered porch. Walk up the stairs to the Gathering Room, just outside the Sanctuary, where a greeter will welcome you. Greeters will be happy to help you find the Sanctuary, the restrooms, the childcare rooms and information about all of our programs for children and youth. Your greeter will ask you to sign the guest book and will help you fill out a name tag. The guest book and name tags are located on the friendship table, which has lots of information about our church and a special gift for you.
Click here for a map of the building.
What kind of church is WCC?
Wapping Community Church is bustling, lively, spirit-filled place! Wapping is associated with the United Church of Christ (UCC). To find out more about the United Church of Christ, go to www.ucc.org.
Does WCC have a dress code?
Don't worry about what you're wearing. Wear what you like and are comfortable in - dress in your "Sunday best" or dress casually - and rest assured that there will be plenty of others dressed just like you!
What time are the church services?
Wapping offers two worship services each Sunday, one at 8:30 am and one at 10:00 am. During the summer, the early service is held outside, weather permitting. God's Garden Church school is at the 10:00am service September through June. In July and August, our worship service hours change to 8:00 am and 9:30am with God's Garden Church School at 9:30 am.
What is a church service like?
The order of worship is the same at both services. Worship includes opportunities for everyone to sing and pray. There are also readings from the Bible and a sermon that will encourage you to think about what you believe and how you will live out your Christian faith in the world. We have a wonderful music ministry that shares their talents during worship. The Chancel (adult) choir sings weekly during worship, as does the children's choir once a month. The hand bell choir plays on special occasions at both services.
Children attend the beginning of the 10:00am worship service and are invited to hear a children's story before being dismissed for God's Garden Church School.
We celebrate two sacraments: Holy Communion and Baptism.
- On the 1st Sunday of the month, Christmas Eve, & Maundy Thursday, we celebrate communion. Everyone is welcome to participate in communion, no matter their age or member status. We receive communion while sitting in our pews, first the bread and then the cup. Please hold the tray for your neighbor and then pass it back to the Deacon. Hold onto your bread or cup until the pastor invites all to eat/ drink.
- On the 3rd Sunday of the month, we celebrate baptism. Baptisms happen on Sunday morning during worship because the entire church community pledges to help raise the baptized in the Christian faith. We usually baptize small children but anyone can be baptized. You do not need to be a member of the church to be baptized here.
What if I have children?
We know that as a parent you need be sure that your children are in a SAFE learning environment. And we know that your children are looking for a FUN place to learn. We've invested a lot to make sure that both of these goals are reached. You'll see that in our Lil' Sprouts and God's Garden rooms, and even more in the volunteers who work with your kids. Click on the "Children" or "Youth" tabs above to learn more about programs for your kids!
What does Wapping Church believe?
- In the presence of God we covenant with God and with each other to give ourselves to God's service and take this to be our Church.
- Ever mindful of the welfare of our fellow members, we promise to walk with them in faithfulness and Christian love.
- We promise that, so far as we are able, we will attend the services of this church, observe its sacraments, share in its work, contribute to its support and its benevolence, and endeavor to make it a fruitful body of Christians.
- Because we believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we take for our rule of life His words. "Thou shalt love the Lord our God with all thy heart and soul and mind and strength and thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself"...